Friday, March 18, 2011

Socks Look Like Shoes

sew-along "Sewing is cheaper than buying? :: Is Cheaper Than sewing BUYING? Free for children

not sew Amiga: What coat has your daughter nicer where you bought it?
I : deployment of peacock feathers which zeal, grinning from ear to ear, deep and resounding voice ... I've done it. Amiga
not sew : jo, because you have saved a fortune. ***
Non sewing friend: What a lovely coat is your daughter wearing? Where did you get it?
Me: (Trying Really Hard Not to boast about it) I made it MYSELF.
Non sewing friend: wow, you must-have saved a fortune.
It depends, because say for example this coat for my 4 year old daughter. In fabrics, backings and yarns I spent about 12 €, plus 1.5 € in snaps (the wood is recycled) plus 3.5 € of Burda where was the captain (who would have bought anyway but good) plus 1 € tracing paper, tape, pen, etc. Rounding out the coat cost me € 18. Not bad. A similar coat can cost € 60 in season, so it sounds great right?

But
What about the hours that I was doing? Mal told about 20 hours. If I include the cost of labor, the shelter would be very expensive. Or by reverse count, so that the coat was out for 60 € my time working the charge at 2 €. Moreover, if we put the cost of patterns, fabrics and magazines I buy and no use spending rises dangerously.

My conclusion is that, although in some cases it saves me, I do not sew for my kids to save money, but because I like it.

And you?
"Sewing for your children say to a saving or spending?
***
Well, not sure about that. Let´s take this coat as an example. I spent around 18€ in fabric, notions, etc. Sounds good. I would expect to pay no less than 60€ for a similar coat. Sounds even better now.
But what about the hours it took me to make it? It wasn´t an easy pattern and kept me busy for a few weeks, that is 20 hours at least. A quick calculation throws that to keep the cost under 60€ my hourly rate would be a mean 2€. And that cost doesn´t take into account my expenditure on magazines, patterns or fabrics that I never use.

My conclusion is
That On Some instances although I save money when to sewing for my kids, That's not always the case and I only do it because i love it.

What about you? Do you save money making your kids clothes?

0 comments:

Post a Comment